Monday 4 November 2013

Research on Cards for Website

Greeting Cards.
"Greeting cards help fulfill an enduring need people have to connect with others. People say there's something special about finding "just the right card" – one they know will get a reaction from the person who receives it. They say giving cards is affirming. It feels good to send them, and it feels good to receive them." Source

Examples of cards I like;
I decided to start my research by looking through design blogs and websites to find some examples of greeting cards I like.
Source

I found this image on google, I really like it because of the use of colour, using only one colour with different opacity's gives more detail to the design without making it look tacky or overly complicated. The colours used are also appropriate to the cards use, and the target audience for the cards. These card could be screen printed or digitally printed, this would work really well as a screen print, and is something I want to experiment with in the second year.

Source
Source
I found one of these images which led me to a website where there was more versions of the same style cards. I have found that there is a lot of bikes and vehicles that have been printed onto cards, I think that they work really well, it is a way to show off the detail you can get with a screen print. This is what I like so much in these screen printed greeting cards, the fact that you can see how much detail has gone into each one, just by using different opacity's of the same colour.

I went onto a website called ohsobeautifulpaper, and found that it was full of greeting card designs, posters, and vouchers. They are all completely different styles but that is because they are all for different audiences.
Source
Source
Source
Source
These vouchers and greeting cards are aesthetically pleasing, although they are purely type based cards, I think that they work really well for what the are used for, and each have specific target audiences that will enjoy them.
 
Source
These cards are very different to the others on this website, they are handmade, and are very simply and effective. The target audience for these cards are very clear because of the colour of the bows, together they look like they should be for a congratulations for a new baby girl or boy, but because there is not type on them, it can be used for many different occasions.

Source
This image is a really good example of the kind of design I want to do in my second year, it is simple yet really well produced. These cards have been screen printed onto two different stocks, and it looks really effective, this is because of the colours used. These greeting cards are going to be a big influence on my design this year as I am wanting to produce some cards that work as well as these do, also I want to experiment with more screen prints, as it is my favourite production method.

Source
This is another ood example of what I am wanting to do in the second year, but not as much for the illustration on the front, but I like the use of colours on different coloured stocks.

Handmade cards;
Source
I would rather but a card like this, which is simple, handmade, embossed and with a limited colour palette, it looks a lot more professional then any card which I found on moonpig and appeals to me more. Because 80%-85% of card buyers are women I think that this is a better card, as I think that moonpig cards are mostly bought by men, as it is the easier option, they can do it from home, and if its late can say its in the post, also moonpig offers gift packages.

Source
Source
Source
Another thing I found when I was searching for card designs I like, are that there are a lot of bikes, they are screen printed onto a good quality stock, and it works really well, a lot of people are doing this at the moment. Something that makes the cards better designed is the limited colour palette, as on the personal card websites they are all very colourful and cluttered.

Source
Source
These cards have been lino cut and hand printed, I think this makes a difference to the quality of the cards and also the receiver of the card will know how unique the cards are. I also like the design of what is on the cards, they are aesthetically pleasing.

Source
This card has been digitally printed, but I think it works so well because there are only three colours and stock used, the design is clean and clear. I also think that this could work well as a screen print.

No comments:

Post a Comment