Understanding how grids work and how layouts and divides appear to the eye on a page.
- Drop caps
- Gutter captions
- Its all about proportions and ratios, its not about measurements.
- Fibonacci sequence ratio 8:13 links to golden section.
- This sequence is not only evident within design but also nature.
- Used by famous painters too.
- A series of numbers in which each number is the sum of two preceding numbers.
- In design it is used to see proportion of page sizes.
- 55 point title should be complemented with 34 point body copy by applying Fibonacci sequence. As 34 is the next size down in proportion from 55.
Dividing the page;
- Forms the basis of paper sizes and its principles can be used as a means of achieving balanced designs.
- Many ancient cultures from Egyptians to the Greeks used this thinking to gain beautiful designed proportions.
- 1.62 is the golden number.
- It is also know as the golden triangle.
- Definition-"Golden Rectangle is a rectangle in which the ratio of the length to the width is the golden ratio."
- Divide the height or the length by 1.62 and it gives you the biggest section that in proportion. You can do this infinitely to build up a grid. The numbers may be different but the proportions will be the same.
The rule of thirds;
- The concept of the golden ratio can be simplified.
- The rule of third governs the placement of points of interest in a scene.
- Divide any given image into thirds both horizontally and vertically.
- According to the rule of thirds, the verticals of those line (where the lines cross) are the ideal placement for points of interest.
- People scanning pages are more likely to notice things placed near the focal points, and the division is comfortable to view.
- More complex design is possible by breaking down those thirds into further thirds.
- People's eyes go to the middle top and center column.
- Major images, news, boxes, search bars and any other points of interest can be nestled on or near the horizontals.
- This little shortcut will give you a design that is both easy on the eyes anf makes people drawn to key pieces of information.
- Another method of using both the golden ratio and the Fibonacci numbers are the golden spirals and Fibonacci spirals
- Using pictures, it shows how your eye reads the golden spiral and reads the layout.
We had to recreate a custom page size using the Fibonacci sequence, I did this by changing the dimensions of the first box to 1cm by 2cm.